Friday, August 22, 2014

A Tangent in Voile

Summer in New England this year has been weird and wimpy. The dogs days have been few and far between.

On one hand, this is wonderful. Already, in August, it feels like fall. I’ve worn pants a few times, turned off the AC, packed my swimsuit away until next year.

But is the fall weather here to stay? I’m banking on summer making a reappearance, no matter how briefly. In fact, I worked on my wardrobe just in case I’m right with another flirting the issue skirt, by Anna Maria Horner and made in one of her voiles. I made one back in May. This latest iteration is pretty much exactly the same; I tweaked some of the measurements just a bit.


If the idea of sewing clothes intimidates you, this is the skirt for you. There’s no pattern to work from: you’re really sewing four big rectangles together and adding some elastic to the waist. I find voile a little annoying to work with (give me a hearty quilting cotton any day!). This skirt is so easy to construct, however, that you will have no need to unpick stitches and risk hurting the delicate fabric.

Can I just say that my other noteworthy finish of the week was Kate Racculia’s Bellweather Rhapsody? A skirt and a novel wrapped up in the same week that there’s no summer school, no camp? Yeah, I’m feeling pretty good, but still anxiously awaiting the start of school! (If you haven’t read my ode from earlier in the week, rest assured that I’m a better sewist than poet.)

Linking up to TGIFF at Devoted Quilter and Finish It Up Friday, as well as Sew Cute Tuesday ...

9 comments:

  1. I, for one, am glad it was a cool summer. :D I love fall. I might have to make one of those skirts now - yours is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful skirt. I'm pretty confident it will be hot here in GA for several more months. The temp difference between our local weather and my husband's native PA will soon elicit feelings of jealousy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once winter hits, it's you two in GA who will be having the last laugh!

      Delete
  3. Ooh, this is super cute! I want one of these! I'm totally going to have to make one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been considering that skirt for a while. Yours looks fabulous. Have you made it in cotton? Thanks for linking to TGIFF.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is super cute! I am scared to sew clothes. I have a skirt I bought a size too big on clearance that I planned on taking in and have yet to build the courage! Maybe someday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job! So impressive that you can sew clothes! How was it putting the elastic in the waste? I do hope you have the chance to get some use of it before the summer is over! It has definitely been a mild summer, but I'm not complaining! I'll take the breeze off the water any day over the A/C!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Turned out lovely! Would you wear it over leggings with a cute cropped cardigan once the leaves start to change color?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This fabric is such a great choice for a skirt! I made some infinity scarves with it earlier this year...but honestly don't wear scarves much. Or skirts, really. But I like this one! It looks very comfy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I almost always respond to comments by email. If my response might interest others or if you're a no-reply blogger, I'll post it here.