Saturday, August 16, 2014

My Low-Volume Inferiority Complex


Hello! If the fabulous Molli Sparkles sent you, welcome. I’m Michelle: long-time sewist, newbie quilter, Sunday-stash virgin.

For the record, I’d like to say that I’ve been quite good. In fact, I’ve been purging. I have two quilts in the works that use up some long-neglected fabric, and I even transformed a lost-cause fabric into some sweet pouches.

But you know how it goes. I headed to a local quilt store for some yardage to back my Birds of My Neighborhood quilt. I didn’t mean to partake in any stash-building; it just happened.

I blame the low-volume collectors. They’re everywhere, and honestly, I want to be just like them.

First I saw the low-volume loveliness around Maryse’s crosses. And then Chelsea showed off the low-volume additions to her stash.

I limited myself to just three half-yards. Aren’t they beautiful? From left to right, they are Mod-Century by Jenn Ski for Moda, Edo Blossom from Makower UK, and a beige-on-beige polka dot from (I think) Quilting Treasures.


I did get my yardage for this quilt. It’s a light aqua and is also Mod-Century, which is such an awesome almost-solid. I love the visual texture that print adds to a quilt.


The frogs are Meadow Friends by Deb Strain for Moda. I needed a bit to add to one of my purge quilts. (Hey, sometimes to use up fabric, you need to buy some fabric. It’s the reality of quilting, people. Do not judge!) And the orange floral is Farmdale Blossom from Alexander Henry.

That last find was sheer kismet. I saw that print at Blue Elephant Stitches recently, in gray, and loved it. As soon as I walked into this shop I saw the orange colorway. I restrained myself to a quarter-yard, thank you very much.

I’m so glad I jumped on the Sunday-stash train. I’m feeling good about these purchases. My rationale is solid. The low-volume selections are the start to a nice collection. Nope, I have zero residual guilt about buying during a purge season. None!

http://www.mollisparkles.com/2014/08/sunday-stash-88-i-was-thirsty.html

9 comments:

  1. No guilt needed! Good choices๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely additions, both those low volumes and blues are gorgeous! Welcome to Sunday Stash! It's a good place to be!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You picked up some lovely fabrics! I need to cave to the low volumes. I LOVE them every time I see them all over the quilts and blogs... and my stash is sorely lacking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Watch out low volume is highly addicting especially once you make a low volume background! You have such great restraint.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally hear you on the low volume trend. I love the way it looks, but seems like you need a good variety to get the effect others are getting. Guess we just have to go ahead and buy it when we see it! :) Mad About Patchwork has a great low volume FQ bundle. I mean... if you're interested! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not too bad for your first time, Michelle ; ) Love the dots the most - I am a polka dot aficionado!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm working on my low-volume understating too. I love bright and bold. I have some nice ones now though. Welcome to Sunday Stash!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very solid rationale indeed! I try very hard not to have a stash ... but I might have blown that when I bought all that Liberty :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the skirt. I recently purchased voile and love to just touch it but haven't tried to sew with it. ;)
    The low volume finds are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I almost always respond to comments by email. If my response might interest others or if you're a no-reply blogger, I'll post it here.